Open vision bar

Student Enrollment

Last Updated: 7/16/2020 5:46 PM

We are excited to welcome you and your family to our Nelson County Community and Nelson County Schools.

Kentucky law requires children between 6 and 18 years old to attend school, with the birthday cutoff for enrolling in kindergarten being age 5 on or before August 1. If your child turns 5 after August 1st and you would like to apply for early entrance please click here. Families may apply for preschool if their child turns 3 on or before August 1.

To enroll a new, first-time student, families may begin the process online here. A parent or guardian may also go straight to the school they are assigned to and receive support in completing online registration. To determine your child's school, which is based on home address, use the Approximate Schools Boundary Map.


Please bring the following to registration:

  • Child's birth certificate or other reliable proof of identity (see below*)

  • Proof of residence, such as a property deed or current lease agreement in your name, a current utility bill such as water or electric bill.

  • Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate **

  • Proof of an eye exam (due by Jan. 1)

  • Proof of a dental exam (due by Jan. 1)

  • Court documents pertaining to your child, if applicable

** You may register without this document, but your child may not attend school until it is on file.

* A legal copy of the child's birth certificate or another official document proving the child's identity and date of birth is required for school registration. Among the acceptable alternatives:

  • Adoption records;

  • Valid passport or other federal government identification like a Social Security card;

  • Military identification or immigration card;

  • Valid Kentucky driver's license or permit;

  • Prior school records (other than FCPS) identifying student by name and date of birth; or

  • Statement: "At this time, I am unable to provide the school with one of the acceptable forms of proof listed above. I understand that this constitutes written notice that Kentucky state law requires that I provide the certified birth certificate or one of the above-listed items to the school within 30 days of student enrollment."

You can order a birth-certificate online by clicking here.


Change of address

If your family moves within the Nelson County School district, you must update your address with NCS by contacting the school your child(ren) attend. Turn in your new proof of residency at your child's school. However, if the move puts you in a different school area, you also need to complete an out-of-area request for your children to finish the school year at their current school. Check the Approximate Schools Boundary Map to see which school your new neighborhood is assigned to and complete the out-of-area application.

If your family moves during the summer break into a different school area, you should visit the assigned school to register your student under your new address. Be sure to bring your new proof of residence.


Contact Us

Karen Lee
Director of Pupil Personnel
(502) 349-7000 ext. 2306

Renee’ Hedges
Infinite Campus System Administrator
(502) 349-7000 ext. 2395